Location: Remote, but ideally based within a half-day drive to Asheville, North Carolina
Hours: 35 hours per week
Start date: The position is open until filled.
Dogwood Alliance seeks a Director of Finance & Operations (DFO) to steward financial and human resources. The DFO oversees operational practices. They manage the financial responsibilities of the organization. The DFO advances Dogwood’s values of equity, social justice, and advocacy.
The DFO oversees the financial and operational infrastructure to support Dogwood’s continued growth. They manage effective administrative and financial systems. That includes accounting, legal, information technology (IT), and human resources (HR). The DFO leads the organization’s strategic planning and reporting functions.
The Director of Finance and Operations reports to the Executive Director (ED). The DFO is a member of the senior management team (SMT). They collaborate with Dogwood’s Board of Directors. The DFO supervises both the Director of People & Culture and the Operations Director.
- Lead and/or coordinate all planning and reporting processes for Dogwood Alliance. Ensure focus, objectives, and outcomes align with the strategic plan.
- Collaborate to focus SMT priorities and activities. This supports staff leadership as well as strategic planning, reporting, and evaluation.
- Lead Dogwood’s work to strengthen organizational effectiveness.
- Approve all financial reporting materials and metrics for Dogwood’s board of directors.
- Maintain compliance with grants requirements.
- Oversee budgeting, financial forecasting, and cash flow for administration, programs, and proposed programs.
- Lead the annual audit process. Liaise with auditors to complete annual 990.
- Oversee the work of accounting and payroll service providers.
- Serve as primary liaison with the Board of Directors’ Finance Committee.
- Oversee annual budgeting and planning process with the ED. Administer and review all financial plans and budgets. Report the financial status to SMT and the Board.
- Implement business policies and accounting practices. Keep the finance department’s policy and procedure manual current.
Administrative Leadership and HR Management
- Collaborate with the ED on financial, budgeting, and administrative processes. Focus on improving systems and internal structure.
- Promote a culture of performance and improvement. A culture that values learning and a commitment to equity and quality.
- Develop initiatives to embrace applicants and employees of all backgrounds. Initiatives that focus on the development and performance of all employees.
- Assess the impact of new programs, strategies, and regulatory action on financial stability and staff.
- Mentor staff in a supportive and collaborative way. Establish objectives and priorities. Evaluate results for the operations team.
- Communicate and lead organizational and operational changes as Dogwood grows.
- Develop successful and trusting relationships with staff. Create and sustain an environment that supports these relationships.
- Ensure the employee handbook is current. The handbook should reflect Dogwood’s growth and commitment to equity.
- Provide leadership in all areas of financial, legal, and reputational risk.
- Maintain compliance with all national, state, and local regulations for nonprofits.
- Work with staff to manage any risk arising from the organization’s work.
- Serve as primary point of contact with legal counsel.
- Serve as primary point of contact on programmatic and operational risk.
The ideal candidate will have:
- 10 years of experience as a finance and operations leader in a nonprofit.
- demonstrated experience leading a diverse remote team.
- experience building a culture of equity and racial justice.
The candidate will be a/an:
Innovative strategic partner. Understands the roles HR and finance play in Dogwood’s organizational growth. Seeks opportunities to diversify funding, strengthen Dogwood’s culture, and build financial reserves.
Trusted communicator. Provides visual stories and presentations to Board and staff. Exhibits transparent and early communication to staff and Board.
Mentor. Supports their direct reports to thrive in their roles. Encourages professional development.
Culture strengthener. Cultivates an environment that supports equity and authenticity within the entire team.
Data-informed decision maker. Uses data to increase organizational effectiveness and minimize risk.
Trusted counsel. The DFO works toward solutions that align with Dogwood ideals. These data-driven solutions reflect an understanding of the organization’s mission and values.
Collaborator. The DFO understands the needs and goals of Dogwood Alliance. They integrate finance and operations to advance Dogwood’s strategic plan.
Dogwood headquarters used to be in Asheville, NC. However, staff are now remote across the US. The DFO will ideally live within a half day’s drive to Asheville, NC. Dogwood will consider strong candidates regardless of location. This role is mostly remote. There will be opportunities to join the team in Asheville for team-building and strategy sessions.
Dogwood Alliance is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion in their communities and within their staff. They value learning from and working with people with diverse perspectives and experiences.
For more information, see the Director of Finance & Operations Leadership Brief at IntentionalWorks.